This guide relates to Miles Platts catalogue items.
Tolerances are in line with DIN16742 and are dependent upon a number of factors.
Factors affecting tolerances,
- The polymer selection and its’ glass content
- The tolerance band is appropriate to the nominal dimension
- The temperature & humidity of parts being measured
- Glass filled engineering polymers are anisotropic and shrink at different rates across different axis
- Where the tool splits and whether the dimension is formed by a solid core or a moving part of the tool
- Which tolerance group being applied which is calculated from a number of factors.
- Miles Platts catalogue items generally fall into TG6 tolerance group
Other considerations for tolerance guidelines,
- Measurement points may have draft applied and therefore will vary across a surface
- Consideration should be given to radii on edges and internal corners (A)
- Glass filled engineering polymer distorts- unsupported features will toe inwards (A1)
DIN16742:2013-10 Table 2 extract- limit dimensions for nominal size ranges (TG6, non-tool specific dimensions) .
Tolerance limit dimensions are intended for linear dimensions only.
Limit dimensions for nominal size ranges (mm)
|1 - 3
||>3 - 6
||>6 - 10
||>10 - 18
||>18 - 30
||>30 - 50
||>50 - 80
||>80 - 120
||>120 - 250